More About Dr. Guarino
After obtaining his medical degree at the University of Maryland, he completed a one-year internship in medicine at Sinai Hospital in Baltimore and an anesthesiology residency and formal training in pain management at the Johns Hopkins Hospital (1993-1997). His training in pain management has included not only the training for injections with anesthesiology but also the surgical approach with neurosurgery as well as the psychological approach with psychiatry.
Dr. Guarino was recruited to direct the pain management services for Washington University at Barnes Jewish West County Hospital. Since arriving, he has focused on evaluating and treating not only the area of pain, but the whole person. Currently he oversees the management of one of the largest pain management practices in the midwest.
He has broad clinical interests, which include management of chronic/complex pain syndromes using interventional modalities and multidisciplinary pain management.
In addition to his clinical duties, he lectures regularly around the country on various pain management principles. He has published extensively in a variety of journals, and he is the author of Get Your Lower Back Pain under Control – and Get on with Life.
Dr. Guarino resides in St. Louis.
Dr. Guarino’s work includes:
- Helping tens of thousands of patients manage chronic pain
- Directing the Pain Management Center at Barnes Jewish West County Hospital in St. Louis
- Teaching residents and fellows at Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri
- Lecturing on the use of medications for various pain management organizations
- Serving as an expert pain management resource for plaintiff and defense attorneys across the nation
- Speaking to organizations about how to achieve results in the area of pain management
- Author of Get Your Lower Back Pain under Control – and Get on with Life.